The Licensed Practical Nurse Birth Assistant position contributes to the provision of high quality care and safety expectations. The Licensed Practical Nurse Birth Assistant is responsible for providing safe, continuous, dedicated support to the delivering mom, family, and Certified Nurse Midwife both during and after delivery in the birth center. The Licensed Practical Nurse Birth Assistant will assist with tasks surrounding the delivery of infant and newborn care, under the direction of the Certified Nurse Midwife.
Essential Job Duties:
- Sets up birth room for client in labor including checks of emergency equipment;
- Provides ongoing support for client and family as appropriate from admit to discharge; Check maternal vital signs, fetal heart tones, and neonate vital signs at intervals according to policy and practice guidelines reporting any abnormal values to midwife;
- Assist CNMs with tasks surrounding delivery of infant, including but not limited to: ensuring that needed instruments are within reach, assisting with drying and stimulating neonate, and assisting with emergency procedures as dictated by CNM;
- Returns birth room to original condition following discharge of patient(s), including cleaning restocking, sterilizing instruments and tub, removing waste and biohazard materials, replacing instruments used, doing laundry, making bed; Reports supplies that need to be ordered, equipment in need of repair, and other birth center needs as appropriate.
- Perform newborn PKU, providing breastfeeding information and support, and communicating any concerns to the CNM.
- Licensed LPN
- Valid CPR and NRP certifications;
- Commitment to work with underserved populations;
- Ability to work in a non-profit environment.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations