This non-clinical healthcare professional is responsible for obtaining accurate patient registration information, including but not limited to demographic and financial information, while working in a fast-paced, clinical environment. High level of mastery and ability to communicate, collaborate, and promote a positive work environment. This position acts independently, responding to staff appropriately and escalating to supervisor, as needed. Position assists with the staffing schedule and supply inventory. Teaches and coaches staff on registration workflow.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accurately obtains and processes patient demographic, insurance, and medical information Demonstrates the ability to identify and register patient accurately into the Master Patient Index thereby reducing erroneous duplicate Medical Records; PAR will be expected to maintain a 98% accuracy in medical record creation, in accordance with Best Practice Standards. Demonstrates the ability to act appropriately on Real Time Insurance eligibility messages, including adding, removing, correcting, and terminating coverages. Demonstrates excellence in ensuring patients are provided with necessary regulatory information (i.e. HIPAA, Patient Rights Brochure, IMM, NOOS, ABN, etc.).Communicates financial responsibilities to patients and collects funds, accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical knowledge in multiple systems, including but not limited to Epic-based applications, Meditech applications, administrative applications (i.e. Outlook, AAMC Intranet, Active Staffer, TimePC, etc.), and necessary online applications (i.e. IXT Copay Collections).
- Independently prioritizes PARL workflow (including, but not limited to, workqueue reconciliation, error resolutions, error tracking and trending, re-education of staff, and other assigned tasks) to meet standards for performance and productivity within departmental deadlines. Maintains supplies and inventory. Updates staffing schedule in response to requests, ensuring scheduling rules are adhered to. Communicates urgent staffing needs, as required.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of downtime and disaster procedures and effectively demonstrates the ability to manage registration workflows and staff during such conditions.
- Adheres to the compliance policies of the department and organization (i.e. timely arrivals, minimal absences, appropriate attire, readiness for work, adherence to the department working schedule, follows AAMC policies regarding personal electronic devices, and other policies, as outlined by the organization). Answers the phone courteously, professionally, per department guidelines, responds to inquiries, and refers all calls, as appropriate. Maintains knowledge of departmental issues and hospital-wide change, by attending meetings and in-services, and by keeping abreast of all appropriate written and electronic emails provided to the employee.
- Provides warm and friendly greetings to patient and their families/visitors, upon arrival. Maintains empathy and professionalism in registration interviews and while providing regulatory information and notices. Identifies insurance verification issues and takes necessary steps to resolve them and/or inform patients of options, including but not limited to, financial assistance information. Troubleshoots insurance verification issues for Registration and Care Management teams, escalating to the Supervisor or Director, as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify issues and opportunities, effectively analyze information, research and data and its implications and make appropriate timely decisions and recommendations based on such analysis.
- Proficiently leads departmental staff by managing and deploying resources, ensuring balanced work assignments, meeting turnaround time goals, and fostering a positive, team-oriented work environment, at all times. Demonstrates mastery-level ownership of shift coordinator role. Trains and orients new staff, as needed, and under the direction of the Team Developer. Demonstrates the ability to deliver effective training interventions, using methods, materials, and equipment necessary to meet the learning needs of the staff.
- Participates in annual staff performance reviews.
- Clearly and professionally communicates to internal and external customers, including (but not limited to), clinical staff, coworkers, administration, and other outside departmental staff. Acts as a point person for all staff inquiries. Escalates issues up the chain, as appropriate. Successfully demonstrates mastery-level performance in all assigned roles in the department, setting an example for the rest of the department.
Required Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED. Some college preferred.
Required Minimum Experience: One year previous experience in registration and/or healthcare insurance required. Demonstrated ability to lead. Experience in fast-paced, team setting, preferred. Typing 35 wpm, required.
Required License / Certifications: CHAA Certification.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
Based on the essential functions, insert the type of work performed (e.g. light, medium, heavy, etc).
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens. Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
For the sentence in bold, please indicate if the position will or will not be exposed to blood borne-pathogens. There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will or will not (please indicate one) be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.