Administer hyperbaric oxygen therapy and diagnostic testing to patients of the Department of Hyperbaric Medicine under the supervision of a hyperbaric physician. All therapeutic and diagnostic modalities will be ordered by the hyperbaric physician.
Role Specific Competencies
- Demonstrate professionalism and commitment to the mission statement of the Department of Hyperbaric Medicine, as well as Client Hospital at all times.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the policies and procedures of Hyperbaric Medicine.
- Perform transcutaneous oxygen monitoring testing as ordered and per departmental policy.
- Ascertain that the patient's diagnosis is one of the appropriate approved disorders for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.
- Implement the physician's orders as indicated by the patient's treatment plan.
- Educate patient and/or patient's family as to the benefits, risks, contraindications, and safety issue of hyperbaric oxygen therapy before treatment.
- Perform blood glucose monitoring as ordered and indicated by patient diagnosis.
- Inspect the patient prior to the commencement of each Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy session to ensure all safety standards are being adhered to i.e. 100% cotton attire, no makeup, no hairspray, etc.
- Perform the hyperbaric treatments and monitor the patient during therapy.
- Perform dressing changes and/or wound care within scope of practice, as ordered and participate in clinic when HBO volumes are below par.
- Take serial photographs of the wound for reporting of the patient's progress.
- Evaluate the patient outcome and meet with the manager and the hyperbaric physician to discuss patient treatment and adjust treatment as necessary.
- Consult with hyperbaric physician regarding any adverse reactions.
- Document treatment notes and maintain patient treatment/diagnostic records.
- Complete the patient's treatment charges, if required.
- Perform quality control daily on department glucometer, or as required by policy.
- Clean and maintain the equipment according to infection control standards.
- Maintain continuous quality improvement duties and chart audits.
- Answer telephone inquiries and schedule patient treatment times.
- Perform marketing duties as needed, intra-and interdepartmental.
- Perform an inventory check, and maintain a record of supplies and laundry items.
- Maintain equipment and checks backup air and oxygen supplies on a daily basis.
- Perform data entry into the Wound Information Data System and collate reports as requested by the director.
- Orient new employees as necessary.
- Participate in New Patient Reviews to assess for HBO indicators.
- Current state licensure (RN, LPN, Respiratory Therapist, Med/Surg Technician)
- Minimum of 2 years med/surg experience
- Wound care experience preferred
- Concentrate on moderate to fine details for extended periods of time
- Must be able to hear normal sounds with some background noise
- Remembers scheduled, tasks to be completed, where activities left off, etc.
- Routinely lifts objects under 20 pounds
- Must frequently lift up to 125 pounds and occasionally lift or move patients