The Phlebotomist-Patient Service Center (PSC) aims to serve patients by executing the best method for obtaining biological specimens and ensuring quality specimen for testing. This position enhances the laboratory and hospital reputation by demonstrating a courteous and professional demeanor during all encounters.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Espouses the principals of Lean Thinking and creates a work environment that positively promotes process improvement. Explores opportunities to add value to job (innovative ideas) to benefit the organization and taking ownership of the outcome. Proactively finds other work-related tasks during low census.
- Determines and executes the best method for obtaining biological specimens from patients of all ages as required to include venipuncture, capillary, and heel-stick puncture to ensure quality specimens for testing. Follows the established productivity guidelines with minimal errors.
- Orders appropriate tests in Laboratory Information System (LIS) as requested by authorized provider by accurately reading and interpreting orders and being familiar with test mnemonics. Resolves unusual or unclear test orders by contacting the ordering provider; including missing orders or missing information; responds to requests for lab results and sends appropriate scheduled reports.
- Prepares aliquots of samples and shipping batches to move samples to various locations within the hospital campus as well as to contracted laboratories following vendor protocols. Registers, draws, and ships all client specimens.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations that allow for easy staff interchange. Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation (hand offs).
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory and conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots equipment problems to the full extent of ability.
- Practices proper patient identification verification according to standard work; manages work queues to ensure appropriate and complete patient registration including demographic, insurance information, correct date of service, ordering caregiver and special flags.
- Actively participate in the laboratory quality plan/program (ex. investigative reports, notification of delays, etc.).
- Participate in the training of new staff and students by serving as a mentor and technical resource;
- High School Diploma or equivalent and specialized training in phlebotomy.
- Requires travel to various sites.
- Preferred Experience: One year of experience working in an acute care facility in an equivalent role.
- Phlebotomy certification with the National Phlebotomy Association or American Society of Clinical Pathology or eligible
- Preferred: Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification
- Preferred License /Certifications: Phlebotomy certification with the National Phlebotomy Association or American Society of Clinical Pathology
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.