The Phlebotomist aims to serve patients by executing the best method for obtaining biological specimens and ensuring quality specimen for testing. This position enhances the laboratory and hospital reputation by demonstrating a courteous and professional demeanor during all encounters.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Provides oversight for the daily workload by setting work pace, coordinating work assignments based upon skill level or meet turn-around-time and productivity goals (includes downtime activity, meal breaks, shift transitions, schedules, huddles). Serves as a point of contact for customer inquiries.
- Assists manager in communicating policies, procedures and directives; assists team members with questions regarding procedures, policies and directives. Serves as a positive bridge between management and staff.
- Provides input for hiring of new staff and actively participates in the training and competency process. Gives constructive feedback to management during the performance review process.
- Espouses the principals of Lean Thinking and creates a work environment that positively promotes process improvement. Explores opportunities to add value to job (innovative ideas) to benefit the organization and taking ownership of the outcome. Proactively finds other work-related tasks during low census.
- Determines and executes the best method for obtaining biological specimens from patients of all ages as required to include venipuncture, capillary, and heel-stick puncture to ensure quality specimens for testing. Follows the established productivity guidelines with minimal errors.
- Orders appropriate tests in Laboratory Information System (LIS) as requested by authorized provider by accurately reading and interpreting orders and being familiar with test mnemonics. Prepares aliquots of samples and shipping batches to move samples to various locations within the hospital campus as well as to contracted laboratories following vendor protocols; registers, draws, and ships all client specimens.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations and that allows for easy staff interchange. Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation (hand offs).
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory and conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results. Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots problems to the full extent of ability.
- Practices proper patient identification verification according to standard work; manages work queues to ensure appropriate and complete patient registration including demographic, insurance information, correct date of service, ordering caregiver and special flags.
- Actively participate in the laboratory quality plan/program (ex. investigative reports, notification of delays, etc.).
- High School Diploma or equivalent and specialized training in phlebotomy.
- Requires travel to various sites.
- Preferred Experience: One year of experience working in an acute care facility in an equivalent role.
- Phlebotomy certification with the National Phlebotomy Association or American Society of Clinical Pathology or eligible
- Preferred License /Certifications: Phlebotomy certification with the National Phlebotomy Association or American Society of Clinical Pathology
- Preferred: Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.